Monday 11 August 2014

Get your HOT CAKES!

Dear Readers,

And so my American Adventures continue via HOT CAKES in Seattle's beautiful Ballard district.


The SIBF and I mastered Seattle's public transportation meaning that we were able to meander away from Belltown's PUNK cafe and towards Ballard's deliciously indie bunting clad twisting avenues and seaside ways.


Number one on my list in relation to this beautiful spot was HOT CAKES (an exquisitely designed molten hot cake establishment). Years ago on a cookery course I went on, we were told that whenever a hot pan was being moved across the kitchen we had to shout HOT PAN so that everyone else knew to keep out of the way. And that shouting capitalisation is how I feel about HOT CAKES! It seems like a name that needs to be yelled, which completely goes against the relaxed, sugar-sweet and comfort vibe you get when you're inside this mighty fine establishment.


Beautiful twee aesthetic apart, HOT CAKES is amazing because you can actually see directly into the bakery where all that molten chocolate marvel happens from the cafe. It was hard not to stare - the bakery is on a huge scale in contrast to the small public area - and all the cafe workers are also the bakers. Hence we discovered when SIBF commented on having 'blowtorch envy' that the lady who made our beyond delicious to the power of five thousand milkshakes is also a pastry chef who brulees bananas when she makes her kids a banana split! That sounds like my kinda mom!


But enough - onto the milkshakes. Whilst I was incredibly tempted to go for one of the alcoholic variations (see impressive liquor shelf in the photo below!), the earliness of the hour made me sensible and I had Vanilla Bean instead.


SIBF went for the seasonal and local Raspberry Milkshake. I have to say the HOT CAKES milkshake is the best milkshake I have ever had.


Thick, creamy, full of real vanilla bean black pinpricks AND with a scoop of supersoft puffy whipped cream and a sprinkle of vanilla sugar on top. HOT CAKE HEAVEN.

If you're ever in the area (and by that I mean the Pacific NorthWest) believe me, HOT CAKES is worth the detour.


News of Portland's best coffee shop coming in the next edition!

Stay tuned and stay sparkling,
Silver Whimsy x



No comments:

Post a Comment