Tuesday 13 August 2013

Victoria Sponge Drops

Dear Readers,

Q: What do you do when you feel like eating a Victoria Sponge, but you don't want to make an entire cake / haven't got quite enough ingredients in the house?
A: Make Victoria Sponge Drops!

It is true that until yesterday I thought I had invented this delicacy myself. Yesterday, however, I found myself BROWSING THE LAKELAND WEBSITE. I know. Or rather, I don't know either. Is this something that suddenly happens to you? One day you're blogging about secret-book-launches in trendy nightspots, the next you're browsing the tupperware section of a 1970s kitchenware website. But I digress. On the front page of the website I was astonished/dismayed to see my Victoria Sponge Drops! Well, not mine (mine aren't uniformly shaped) but a cake coming from the same strand of imagination-based synaptic pathway. (Scientists, forgive me if that is an incorrect term.)

Anyway, it turns out I can't claim to have invented them, but I can share the making method with you.

Bake a batch of plain vanilla fairy cakes. Find the recipe here: Silver Whimsy's Fairy Cakes
Whip up some double cream with some vanilla bean paste and a tablespoon of sieved icing sugar to add depth of flavour and beautiful vanilla bean flecks. WHIPPING TIP: Always whip cream in a metal bowl and place both bowl and balloon whisk in the fridge a couple of hours before you start whisking it up to make it easier to whip. 
Make sure you don't over-whip your cream. You are looking for something pillowy that softly drops off the spoon rather than something stiff and structured.  
Take one of your cakes and cut it in half with a sharp knife. 
Place a teaspoon of raspberry jam on to the bottom half of the cake and spread it out. Add a squished raspberry on top of this. (OK, I admit, this ain't exactly the baking equivalent of rocket science, but it does make for a very tasty morsel!) 
 Dollop some of your whipped cream on top and spread/swirl out slightly.
Replace the top and liberally sprinkle with icing sugar to create a perfect mouthful of deliciousness. 
These Victoria Sponge Drops are truly perfection on a plate. Here you can see the SIBF tucking in. Serving suggestion = with or without MacBook depending on how you're feeling.

Enjoy,
Silver Whimsy x

No comments:

Post a Comment